Friday, June 12, 2009

"I don't know how to discipline my kids.."

On Tuesday night I had quite the experience ( I think it was quite the experience). Collin had a softball game and I was actually going to venture out with the kids to watch it, this is pretty daring on my behalf, it is really hard to handle Bode and Peiton in public, at the same time. Before the game I took them to Iceberg ( I was by myself) I thought we would grab something to eat before and then head to the game. We they were great in Iceberg, Bode only tried to run away once, which is pretty good for him. We were finished and we were walking out to the door I had to pick Peiton up because we were going outside in the parking lot. Well she lets out her high-pitched scream...which is very high pitch, and really bratty sounding.

As she is screaming there is a lady walking to the same door as us and this is what happens...

Lady: Walking towards us says "Ahhhh SHUT-UP!" Very rude like.

Me: Not sure if she was serious or not says. "Are you serious?"

Lady: "Yes, discipline your children."

Me: "What?? She is not even 2 yet?" (What do you think I was doing picking her up so she couldn't run like crazy through the parking lot, when she screamed I kept her in my arms so she didn't get her way...she is learning).

Now we will call her Raunchy lady: "Well is starts in the home." (saying it very rude).

Ticked off me: "Don't tell me how to raise my kids."

Raunchy lady: Mumbling..."stupid Mormons" ( I don't know why me having 3 kids makes me a Mormon, I am, but why would she think that. I know many people that are not LDS and they have more kids than 3. I am sure she had more than 3 sad, lonely, no friends because there mom was so mean, scared kids.)

By this time I was super mad, but had to kind of walk away from it. Thankfully there were 2 girls there that stuck up for me and starting reaming her out, they went at it pretty good. This scared Cooper, he didn't understand why she was being so mean, especially to Peiton. He kept asking me questions about it..."is it cause she was old?" I just had to reassure him that she wasn't very nice and probably had a bad day and just had to take it out on cute little Peiton." But inside myself I was so angry and wanted to drop kick the lady. But I do know what she drives and the where abouts of where she lives, so beware "Raunchy Lady" I am watching for you....

(I really wish my sister Stacy or my friend Alicia were there with me, they would have really put her in her spot. I am glad I stuck up though, usually I would just walk away, which would have been the Christ-like thing to do, but I wasn't feeling that way at all).

19 comments:

Heidi Totten said...

Wow, I'm sort of speechless, except that people are so much more rude these days. I remember hearing a talk at Church once where a woman said, "By the age of one, children should be able to sit quietly in Sacrament Meeting to allow their parents to listen to the speaker." What?! And she had raised twelve kids! I've decided that people really do forget what it is like to have really small kids!

KEYSHA said...

Old bitty hag. Too bad you didn't 'accidentally' trip and spill your food on her:) I wish Alicia would've been with you too; that lady would've wished she'd kept her yapper closed! (Alicia, that is meant the most admirable way! You stand up for what is right and what you believe in!!!) Nat, we all know you're the worlds best mom...you do things I could never imagine doing!! Next time you go to Iceberg...call me...you shouldn't eat milkshakes alone with 3 kids:)

Amy said...

Oh man!! I'm so sorry! I'm glad you stuck up for yourself too. We had a similar incident at a pizza place but the lady didn't say anything directly to us, just to her friend loud enough for us to hear. Some people are just unhappy!

Rachelle said...

Correction - I have pictures of Dad's 60th birthday party!
Anyway, I am still in shock that that lady had the audacity to say that! Good for you for waying something and quite frankly - Chist, always stood up for what he believed in!

Kristen said...

Um, that makes me so mad... Where does she live, I'll take care of her for you!!!! JK way to stick up for yourself!

Emily said...

Holy crap... are you serious? That is terrible! I had a not so great day yesterday with rude people, but very different than your experience. I don't like confrontation myself, so you handled that very well. Crazy old hag...

Annie Miller said...

I am so mad right now I am fuming. I can tell you I would have done exactly what you did. Almost word for word...then I would have thought of the most awesome insults later than night while I was going over it in my head. My husband Mike is so good with on the spot putting people in their place. I wish he would have been there. That lady would have been bawling her eyes out. Words can hurt!

Amanda said...

Holy cow, I cannot believe the nerve of some people! She was a major raunch! Good job standing up for yourself!

Shannon said...

What the...! I'm Mormon, so I won't finish my thought.

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh!! You poor thing. I would have bawled my eyes out in the car afterward. Your poor Cooper probably doesn't know what to make of that whole "mormon" comment. I think your a great mom!

Keeping up with the Jones' said...

Nat....I wish I was there too. Although, it is probably that I wasn't because I definitely wouldn't have been in the Christ-like mode :)
I don't deal well with that crap, as everyone knows. She would have gotten an ear full from me.
Your kids are good kids. You and Collin are GREAT parents!!!
That lady will get hers one day.....KARMA can be such $*#%@!!!! :)

LOVE YOU

Stacy said...

I'm proud of you too..speaking out like that, if people are going to be that rude, they deserve confrontation.

Williams Tale Overture said...

I can't believe that. I don't really know what I would have done other than just been in shock. Some people have a lot of nerve saying stuff like that.

Kristen said...

I'm proud of you for standing up for yourself like that. That woman is crazy - it's not like you were in the middle of a theater performance, it's ICEBURG for craps sakes. And the Mormon thing bugs me...what does that have to do with anything, that would've been funny if you had said something back to that like "I KNOW!"
I hate situations like this - they fester in me for days, what I should've said, how I should've keyed her car (jk)

I seriously don't think I ever see you and not thing what a great mom you are. And if this woman thinks YOU need to discipline your kids then wait till I run into her with mine. Then I'm sure she'll really have something to compare you to and you will end up winning mom of the year award!

I'm sorry this is so long and more sorry that it happened to you at all!

Tausha said...

Wow, she is a raunchy lady. I can't believe that. I got angry just listening to your story. I would of drop kicked her!! Can't imagine what her kids are like.

Marcy said...

Seriously? I am in shock at the nerve of that old lady! She has obviously forgotten what it is like to have small children. I feel bad for her poor children and even worse for her grandkids (can you imagine what a day is like at that grandmother’s house?). Sorry you had to deal with that and good job taking the kids out. Your kids are adorable weather they are crying or not and I can’t believe someone could yell at sweet little Peiton like that.

Jenny and Jared said...

I really can't understand why strangers think that our lives are their business! I have had a few strangers give me parenting advice (although not quite as rude as this) and at the time I am just so shocked that I don't know what to say! Find out where she lives and I will send my young women over to toiletpaper her house. ;-)

Allison said...

I couldn't fathom this when you told me and now reading it makes my blood boil! Seriously! I think you handled it very well. Much better than I would have. What a mean old bag!

And you ARE an AMAZING mother! I am so impressed with you.

Lish or Coors said...

I may have said the "F" word and included comments regarding her figure. I would have then said....God will forgive me, I am a Mormon.

Or.....

I would have placed my hands on her head and spoke in tongues.


Corey.

Michael Jackson faked his death. Tell your friends.