I am trying, yes trying, to get Bode to understand the words "no" and "wait." I actually think he understands them quite well, he is just so stubborn that he is NOT going to take "no" as a answer and he is not going to "wait" his turn or "wait" for me to be ready to help him. It is as bad as, ie...I am in the middle of doing something that can't be interrupted (going potty for instance) he will come grab me by the hand, pull until I do something. Or if he wants to watch a movie he will come with the movie and shove it right in my face! I will try to ignore him but he is good...oh, he is good. He doesn't stop! I sign to him "wait" and he could care less...it really is driving me insane! And the best part about it, is Peiton is starting to do the same thing...although I can ignore her and she will give up after 5 or 10 minutes.
Well last week, it could have been 2 weeks ago, I don't know....my weeks all run into one these days. I was doing my monthly workout (yes monthly, that is all we do these days) and low and behold, Bode comes down with the DVD "Beauty and the Beast," I was in the middle of my workout and I was NOT going to turn it on. Well after about 10 minutes of pestering me, with DVD in face, pulling my hand, he finally gave up. I was like YES, he is learning...well I cut my workout short (yes, that is what we do these days, too tired to finish the whole workout) and I went upstairs and the door to the garage was open and the garage was open....yes, Bode ran away again. No, this isn't the 1st time, 2nd, 3rd or 7th time...I don't really know how many times it has been (I really am not that bad of a mother...he is FAST and sneaky, and before this time he didn't know how to unlock the little locks on the door...now he does.)
Well my heart sunk of course, not sure where to look. Peiton and I got into the car I drove to the last place he ran away to, no Bode. Drove around the block again to make sure I didn't miss him, no Bode. I decided to drive to the other park on the busy road by our house, no Bode. But, as I was driving there I saw a white Suburban pulled over to the side of the road on the other busy road by our house. I thought I would drive by just to see...low and behold there was little Bode on the sidewalk with a very nice lady that had pulled over to see why this little boy was walking down this busy road, bare feet, in jammies and holding Beauty and the Beast. Bless her heart.
Well I ran over to him furious, but very thankful that there are people out there that care enough to stop and help a little lost boy that is just trying to find someone to turn on Beauty and the Beast for him. Oh...Bode. I felt pretty stupid as a mother trying to find her child, you think we would learn our lesson after him running away so many time. Our house should be locked up so that nobody can get in or out, but then where would the excitement be in our life...right? Not really, I don't like this excitement at all.
So I think Bode really knows the meaning of "no" and "wait" he just doesn't want to listen and he doesn't want to wait...







10 comments:
I love this post! Kids are smart and sneaky! I've had my kids run away too. You are awesome, hang in there.
Sweet little Bode.... you are an awesome Mom!
You are amazing Natalie!! I can't imagine how scary that would be. I wish I knew how I could help you with your cute little guy but you always seem to have it together. Keep it up:)
We installed $3 "hotel" locks way up high on our front door to prevent our escapee from running after her daddy as he goes to work, or letting in strangers while mommy is just getting out of the shower. Good luck :)
Oh hilareous! At least he was dressed. Every one of my siblings managed to escape at least once with either no clothes or only a diaper on. ;)
Funny story now but I am sure it was really scary while it was going on!!! For whatever it is worth, I think your a great mom!!!
Nat, you are such a great MOM; and very patient! :) I think there are times we all want our kids to wait just a minute....I do it all the time! ;)
Hang in there, you and Collin are incredible!
Scary! That happened to Cohen when he was just barely 2, luckily he was in the neighbors backyard. But locks went on the doors the next day. We'll help you install them! Glad he was safe though.
Oh my gosh, I am so sorry, that had to be very scary and very frustrating at the same time. I am sure Sam will end up doing the same thing. I already see a very stubborn streak in him. I am so glad you found him. I too think they realize what we are saying and what it means but they are just so dang stubborn, awwww what do you do??
I think you right! When Kaleb was born Bella and Ethan would sneak out of the house and run down the street everytime I started to nurse him. They knew I couldn't get up in time to stop them. OY! So we installed these handy (and inexpensive) locking devices on the doors. They are up high where only Chad and I can reach them and really easy to install. You and I could even do it. No more running away. But they don't work on sliding glass doors. Since we're fenced I never worked about that.
Post a Comment