I ran the Salt Lake Marathon this past Saturday and I am so glad it is done with. I really don't like that marathon, it is full of hills (at least I thought so). I ran it 3 years ago and I really didn't like it then and I thought I would give it another try and I liked it a little better, but not too much. It did help that I wasn't running in 80 degrees weather this time. I guess after you run the St. George you kind of get spoiled. I loved the St. George! The course was great and the training went great. The training for this one was pretty ridiculous. When we were running it was FREEZING cold or raining, sometimes snowing. We got a lot of our long runs in, but the shorter runs during the week were pretty much not happening. But I did it, and I actually am very glad I did do it.
( My friend Rach brought this by to me the night before. She is amazing and so thoughtful. This cookie was delicious! I saved it so I could devour it right when I got home. That I did. I got so many calls of "good luck" I really appreciate everyone that supported me.)
Collin took us to the starting line that morning. Holly and Charlie had our kids so we didn't have to worry about them. Thank you so much, it was so great not having them with us. We really appreciate it. The race started at the Legacy Bridge up at the U of U and right by Primary Children's. It was a perfect day. The temperature was awesome and there wasn't too much wind until mile 18 and then it kicked in and it was pretty strong.
Collin, Kelly & Mat (Collin's sister & husband) & Justin (Lou lou's husband) were there at mile 8 (about 2000 east and 3300 south) cheering me on. It was so good to know that at mile 8 I would see them. It just kind of pushes you a little bit. Kelly and Mat were so great to be there, it was so much fun to see them.They then met up with me at mile 15 (about 5500 S and VanWinkle). I was still feeling pretty good at that point. I was tired, and didn't feel the strongest, but I was doing okay.
At mile 18 I started crashing. Not with endurance but my leg started acting up. It got to the point that each time I would lift my leg I would get this shooting pain up my leg to my hip flexors (I think that may be the correct term???) it killed. I then started to slow down a lot. I had to walk about every 1/2 mile just to stop the pain. Anyway, it wasn't fun but I had to finish or find someone with a cell phone and call Collin to come pick me up:)
I made it! And I am so happy I did. I was pretty happy with my time, I did better than my first Salt Lake and that is what I wanted, just to do better. And the best part is that I had so many friends and family there at the end cheering me on. It really means so much to me to have people there to support me. I am really so blessed to have such great family and friends. I love you all. Thanks for taking the time out of your Saturday to be there and thanks Holly and Charlie for taking your Friday night and Saturday to watch the kids. It means SO much to us. They had a blast. Thank you, thank you!






18 comments:
Awesome, Nat! Next time you guys do a run I want to be there with signs. I won't be running with you, but I can totally be a dorky cheerleader! :)
Great job NAT! I’m sorry I missed it. You were being modest when I talked to you; you didn’t tell me you bet your 1st Marathon time! Good for you! That’s too bad that your leg was in pain, I’m glad that you battled through the pain and finished. You ROCK!!!
Holy crap girl! How many does this make for you! You are amazing!!
YOU ARE MY HERO!
Good job Nat. I think we should go toilet paper that dang chiropractor of yours though :)
Nat you ROCK!!! That is so awesome that you finished even with the pain. You inspire me. Congrats!!!
AMAZING! I have always talked about doing a marathon... but never have. I really should consider! Good job!!
You did awesome!! I was so happy to see you. And seriously, who looks that good after running a marathon. :-)
Congrats Nat! Way to go! You should be so proud!
Nat I am so proud of you. You are my hero! :) Honestly, I don't know anyone who has the strength and determination that you do. You NEVER give up (even when your leg is telling you too). I am so sad that I couldn't be there to cheer you on. I love ya tons. I still have your little "good luck" treat, a little late I know! But you know what they say, better late than never right???
Anyway, I will bring it over this week. Love ya tons!
You did awesome! You have been working so hard and are such a fantastic athlete! I'm glad were able to at least ride there together...but you and Leslie are unbelievable in your marathon abilities--!!! I am proud of you for sticking through the pain; not many people would do that!
You are truly an inspiration! Training in the snow, battling leg pains, running a super-hard course.....you can't get much tougher than that. Way to go - you're awesome!
Even after laughing at the way you walked and climbed stairs Saturday night - you know I am super proud of you, right?! (RIGHT?!) What a great accomplishment!!
What an awesome quote on your scrapbook page- I've never heard that! Great job on the run- way to persist!
way to go!! I just took up running and can barely do a 10k. You'll be my idol. take care
Way to go girl! You are so awesome! I'm so impressed with how well you did! You rock! Ragnar here we come! :)
Wow nice accomplishment. How come you always look STUNNING after your races?! It looks like you just stepped out of a salon or something! Good job on beating your previous time. You are a stud-muffin!
That sounds like so much fun. I love the idea of team relay running! Maybe next year!
Post a Comment