Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Book Club

So I am the lucky one and got the assignment to host the "Breaking Dawn" book club...yipee! What a fun book club to host. Thanks Kristen. Call me a dork, but I really get into things like this, making it fun and trying to put yourself into the moment. To start out with, I downloaded a few trailers from Youtube and had those playing on the TV to get us more in the mood (I am so excited for the movie, I already have my ticket purchased, Thanks Alisha!)

I had a great turnout and the discussion was fun. We had a lot of good topics to discuss. Some loved the book, some liked the book and some didn't care to much for the book. I was with the like the book. I really had a hard time reading it, it didn't keep my interest too much. I liked it, but I found myself bored a lot. With Twilight, there was so much happening, so many things that made you want to keep reading, I didn't find that with this one. Anyway, back to book club...
For the food, I thought I would try to keep it along the red, black, fancy line...since we were dealing with vampires, and the Cullen's do like the best. For a little handout, I had "Vampire Repelling Garlic Mints," and I was so excited at how my cookies turned out. I decided to make sugar cookies and do a Team Edward-Team Jacob theme, and I must say, I was really surprised how good the werewolf cookies turned out. I wasn't too sure how they would look, but I think they turned out okay. Now the Edward cookies, weren't so fab....that's okay, Jacob deserves to have the spotlight every now and then, right?


27 comments:

Keeping up with the Jones' said...

Nat,
You are truly AMAZING!!! I always love coming to fun things like this at your house. I always know that we are in for a treat.

I am with you, I liked the book. It was hard to get into, but overall I was happy with how it ended.

Thanks for being such a great hostess with the mostess :)

When is the next party????

Tebbs Times said...

YOu made all that??? OH MY, you have serious skills!! You are a super stud in the kitchen, and looks like a great host!! You are such a doll Nat!!

Anonymous said...

Okay, so don't think I'm a blog stalker but I have been waiting for you to post something about last night and hoping you'd have pictures of all your yummy creations. Just explaining it to Kendrick didn't do it justice. You are really talented and such a fun hostess!

Kristen said...

That was the BEST Nat! You really outdid yourself! It's so much fun when people get into a theme. I love it! Thanks again for hosting such a fun party! Err..um, I mean, book club!

Summer said...

Cre. Ate. Ive. You rock!!!! Pleeease come over for Mia's birthday party Saturday. I'm supposed to make a castle cake, and now I'm chickening out. How about a little cake-decorating trip to Ohio? It seems everything you touch turns cool... ;)

Alicia said...

Wow Nat, you've outdone yourself this time. I would love to have had one of those team Jacob cookies. Yum! I am all for Jacob!

RaCHeL said...

All I can say is...WOW! You seriously went all out. The Cullens would be proud :) I'm in awe over how awesome your book club was. I wish I were apart of it. :) I can't wait for the movie! I didn't know you could buy tickets already. That's cool!

Aly said...

You are hilarious!! Looks like such a great party! Those Jacob cookies are the cutest things I've ever seen! You are darling. Happy anniversary to you guys too! You guys are so dang cute!

Stacy said...

Ummm I didn't hear any credit to your darling and cute sister Stacy for her directing you to the perfect spot. Yours was much better. Your cookies are rad! Almost makes me like Jacob..um nope.

The Garber Family said...

Yet again, I'm linking you to my blog. Those werewolf cookies were incredible. I have the same obsession with parties and themes. I keep going and going and can't stop myself from doing a lot of little details. Van Wag OCD? In a good way, I hope.

Trisha Paddock said...

Seriously Nat, you put Martha and Betty to shame.

When I first heard that your book club on Breaking Dawn was going to be at your house....I was like, "I am so there" even if it was for a short 30 minutes.

Everything tasted so yummy....I wanted to take that entire cookie tray home but didn't want to look like a pig! I think I was more into your spread of yummies than the discussion itself.

Annie Miller said...

I love your parties! You always go all out. This has to be one of the best. I WISH I was there. That is the cutest thing I have ever seen. What font is that? So clever!

Jenny and Jared said...

Wow- I really missed out!!! I can't believe you made all of that. What an incredible hostess. Next year I won't miss it at your house!

Amy said...

Fun book club! I liked the book, thought it came to a nice conclusion. Some things were a little cheesey, but really isn't the whole concept? And yes, I AM doing the Top of Utah next weekend! AHHHH!

Brittany said...

I am with you I liked the book but not my favorite out of the series, you nailed it on the head by saying it did not always keep your interest. Looks like a great party but what else would you expect from Nat.

loulou said...

I have to agree with Trisha's assesment---You do put Martha and Betty to shame. Plus you are alot nicer and Martha. You should consider one day doing weddings or catering....Maybe I can work for you. My only worry is that if you make alot of those sugar cookies that I LOVE, you might not be able to keep up with the demand. Oh yum. Book club was a blast...Good job!

Kelly said...

WOW Nat! Looks like lots of fun. How do you do it? Maybe next time I have Bunco, I'll try a little harder to be like you. :) See you Friday.

Kathy said...

You are so creative! Looks like fun! I still haven't finished the book, I feel the same as you about it. Kind of boring.

cobijared said...

Ok so you got all the creative genes in our family I really think you are awesome. If I need ideas I know where I am comming. I haven't started the book I don't want to be dissapointed.

KEYSHA said...

What a party! (I mean Book Club). I think I gazed at the Jacob cookies with my mouth hanging open (from both awe and salivation)! I opted for a Team Edward cookie, because I couldn't bear to eat such a beautiful creation of a cookie! Oh and those strawberries were to DIE for.

What fabulous detail--you aim to please and then some!

Hollie said...

Can't believe you didn't call and remind me about the book club. You're so lame. I missed out.

Allison said...

I think you by far do the best book clubs. I loved the Edward cookies, I couldn't bring myself to eat the Jacob ones because after all they did say team jacob and that I am not. :) Thanks for a really fun night.

Rachelle said...

too cute Nat! I wish I was in your ward book club! How cool to assign Breaking Dawn as the book!

Deidre said...

Wow is all I can say, you are amazing. I mean it when I say you should be a party planner. I can't get over how fun and spectacular that looked. Glad to hear I am not the only one that had a harder time getting into the book. I barely finished it last sunday.

Anonymous said...

Nat,

You really are amazing! I want some of what ever your taking! lol I wish I could come to your fun parties!

Marcy said...

Book club was so much fun! After you did such an amazing job on the Twilight Book Club, I knew that you would come up with something even better for Breaking Dawn. Anytime you are talking about Edward, it is a good time for me. . I can’t believe how great you made those Jacob cookies look; you should make some for the premier and sell them for $5 each. You are truly amazing and anytime you throw a party it’s a blast! I can’t wait until the next gathering at the Richards.

You must have got a big kick out of me and Alicia trying to decorate simple cupcakes. I should have known better when I borrowed your decorating tool that I would for sure need your help. You need to sign-up for the mid-week activities and teach us all a thing or two!

Kari said...

Not only did the food look great but those cookies were to die for!! Seriously I dream about your cookies. I still stick to it being the frosting that makes them so good!!

You know how to throw a party. Thanks for making everything you do so fun.