Thursday, January 15, 2009

I HEART my Chiropractor!

My back and my leg have had some serious issues lately, they have really thrown me for a loop. Back on Thanksgiving I started having this awful pain. I would get these legs spasms coming from my groin muscle down my leg through my thigh. They were awful pains, so bad that the day after Thanksgiving I couldn't even walk, which kept me home from all the "Black Friday"sales (Keysha I know that doesn't sound bad to you:) I was pretty much kept up in bed that whole weekend which really made me super mad! The pain started getting better, but not all the way. I finally went to a Orthopedic who diagnosed me with having IT band issues, I did all the exercises he told me and really nothing got too much better. Then a couple of weeks ago the extreme pain came back, worse than it was before. The spasms going through my leg were so much more intense that I would just drop to the floor whenever I would have one. By then I realized that this is more than just a muscle tear or something, it has to be something with nerves. So I made an appointment with the Chiropractor because I had to get this fixed or find out what is going on with my body. So off to Dr. Hudson I went!

I got there and he took some tests and did some x-rays and found that my spine is messed up. It kind of starts making the curve like scoliosis (not as intense, and not the whole spine) and because of that, the pain is finally starting to kick in. It makes me wonder how long it has been like this, all my running probably has something to do with it (not going to stop me yet) who knows, all I know that from the 5 adjustments I have had so far, the pain has gone down 75% I don't get the shooting pain down my leg anymore, I just have pain in my back and some movements trigger a little sensitivity to my leg.

I had never been to a chiropractor before and now I am now sold on going regularly. (I think I will have too) The theory behind the Chiropractor is really cool. How the spine controls the body movements and how it is attached to all these nerves, kind of complex for me, but what I do understand about it, makes me think it is pretty cool.

11 comments:

Lish or Coors said...

OUCH.....that sounds painful!!

Amy said...

Wow Nat. I had no idea! My Wasatch Back team captain last year had the same thing, which is why she almost dropped out. I'm glad the chiropractor helped. Hope it just continues to get better.

Heidi said...

Get better - you are amazing and you just keep on going...and to think, just being tired keeps me from the gym...

brandonandlexee said...

Oh man I'm so glad you are feeling better! Brandon so doesn't believe in the chiropractor thing and thinks I'm crazy for going but hey if it fixes my kinked neck etc. why not?? I'm sure running isn't helping it but then if you don't run other things start to go wrong, huh! Bodies are strange but incredible inventions :0) It was great to see you guys this week though I wish under better circumstances

Stacy said...

I have always been a fan of the chiropractor. Do you know what would make your adjustments even more effective...you guessed it magnets! I am glad you are feeling better...however I do think you should tone down on the running and at least switch it up with something else that is a little less hard on your awesome bod...like swimming, same great work out...no pounding.

Hollie said...

Glad the chiro is working. I'm a firm believer in your spine controlling everything your body does, even sicknesses and diseases. Hope your nice long run this weekend doesn't mess it all up again.

KEYSHA said...

I'm glad you have somewhat figured out the problem. You're too great of a runner to give up--so at least now you can work with the problem instead of guessing!

Can't wait for our 'fun run'!

Marcy said...

I'm so glad that you finally got it figured out. I felt so bad for you when you were in so much pain all the time.

Good Luck this weekend on your 1/2 I will miss not seeing you cross another finish line. Have fun and tell your grandparents HI!

Rachelle said...

Casey LOVES the chiro too! he would go every week if he could! I hope you continue to feel better!

Preslee said...

OUCH!!! Hope u feel 100% better!

Allison said...

I am so glad that you figured out the problem. There is nothing worse than not knowing. And back pain is the worst! It's debilitating.