Sunday, January 27, 2008

President Hinkley



"Now, my brethren and sisters, the time has come for us to stand a little taller, to lift our eyes and stretch our minds to a greater comprehension and understanding of the grand millennial mission of this The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. This is a season to be strong. It is a time to move forward without hesitation, knowing well the meaning, the breadth, and the importance of our mission. It is a time to do what is right regardless of the consequences that might follow. It is a time to be found keeping the commandments. It is a season to reach out with kindness and love to those in distress and to those who are wandering in darkness and pain. It is a time to be considerate and good, decent and courteous toward one another in all of our relationships. In other words, to become more Christlike"
Gordon B. Hinckley - Gen. Conf. 1995 Apr.
About 1 hour ago, tears came to my eyes when Collin told me the news about President Hinkley. I have spent the last 45 minutes browsing all of the pictures of him on the computer and just pondering about what a wonderful man and President of the Church he was. My heart aches to see him go, but if is full of joy for him, for the sweet reunion he will have with his sweetheart, Marjorie. I am so grateful for the work President Hinkley did for our church, he was truly an amazing man. He was loved by many, and not just those of the LDS faith. He had such a wonderful humor, which made it even easier to love him. Whenever he was in the midst of you, you felt his spirit. I remember being in the conference center, and when he walked in, the crowd went silent, he smiled and did his little wave, and you could not deny the spirit that you felt at that moment. It just testified to me the truth of the gospel, and what an amazing prophet we have leading our church. I will surely miss him, and look forward to the time when I can see him again.

5 comments:

Post-it Notes said...

He was truly an amazing man and will be greatly missed. I have had frequent tears since I found out but then I picture his reunion with his wife. I am sure he was so excited to see her. WHat a great tribute.

Keysha said...

President Hinkley is the Prophet I have grown up knowing and following. The first word that comes to my mind when describing this man is HUMBLE. He is known all around the world, yet he is not boastful, bragging or full of pride like most who are well-known. Instead, he holds fast to the gospel and his true interest is in the people of the world and the church. He will be missed, but I think of his reunion with his wife and all I can do is smile.

Heidi and Judd said...

Hey Nat I loved what you said about our Dear Prophet, he will be miss by everyone!
Your blog is so cute! I just got one so You'll have to check it out sometime!

Laurie said...

It really is the end of an era. It feels almost wrong to be sad- but it is. I love this post!

Michelle said...

Natalie
Pres. Hickley was so wonderful I was also so sad to hear the news. I also went straight to my computer to find the picture you posted of him cause it is my fav. But I couldn't find it. Where did you find it? I think it is the best picture of him ever and I want to frame it and put it up in my house.