Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Update on "a little fed up"...

Thank you for all your comments on my little issue with the "birds." They all were very helpful. After a lot of thought, my neighbor Heidi and I decided we would tag team it and meet at her house and discuss it. It worked out great, she was outside mowing her lawn when we got there and I even made her cookies to soften her cup and not seem so defensive. So we commented on how well she has handled her dogs (she has 5!!) and how they don't bother us and we have no complaints about them, and then we got to the next issue which would be the problem with the birds and the bird feeders, she was clueless! She had no idea that these bird feeders were causing so much problems through out the neighborhood and frankly I don't think she really cares. We tried to be as polite as possible and pretty much demanded that she get rid of the feeders, she seemed devastated and she never said that she would get rid of them. We did mention that if it is still a problem we will probably have to go to the city (who knows if they could do anything, but there has to be something with the health issues with all the bird poop).

Heidi and I decided we would give her until Saturday and see if she does anything, if not we will confront her again and see what happens. I pray that this will end well since we will be neighbors for a while. So we will see how it all pans out and I will keep you informed if the feeders are gone!

Thanks Heidi, you did a great job and you are great with confrontations, which I am not. It really helped to have you there.

15 comments:

Kristen said...

I was wondering how it went tonight!! You know, if you haven't already, you might want to take some pictures of what the poopage is doing to your property. I might take a few too - just to send along with a letter to the city as proof. I'd sign that letter in a heartbeat.

Kristen said...

I'm reading your blog backwards tonight - sorry...I just saw all the pictures. I think Heidi and I have some ones to add to it!

Heidi Totten said...

I definitely have pictures to add to it! If she doesn't take them down we will just have to document our actions and how we approached it with her, then take pictures and take it to the city. There HAS to be some sort of ordinance about excessive stuff like that if it effects other people!

You did a great job, Nat! The only problem was that the whole time we were standing there I wanted to ask her for one of the cookies. :)

KEYSHA said...

I noticed bird feeders this morning...still full of food! Hopefully something will change.

Good job confronting her. Not an easy task, but it sounds like you guys handled it well:)

Hollie said...

Good job Nat. Hopefully it stops so you don't have to do anymore.

Keeping up with the Jones' said...

Nat you are so great to take cookies. I would have been like Heidi wanting to ask for one.

I was talking to Pam last night and she said she has even more bird feeders in the backyard. She said it is out of control. Who knows, but hopefully she will know that you and Heidi meant well, but that something has to be done about the birds!

Good luck! Keep me posted on what happens.

Laurie said...

My advice (being a total phobic of confrontation) is to buy a power washer to clean your backyard and buy one of those hawk or eagle things that they sell at Cabela's to keep away smaller birds. It might work.

Olson's said...

From everyone in the neighborhood - THANK YOU! I'm glad that you and Heidi had the courage to confront the bird lady. I'm hoping that things will change soon, and that the neighbor lady won't harbor any hard feelings.

Do we know of any one who has a power washer? Maybe we could all take a turn and clean up a little :)

Zicker said...

She sounds like an animal hoarder. I think the five dogs is already an ordinance violation right there. She might already have a record with the city. Copious amounts of bird poop can cause respiratory problems, especially if they are pigeons.

Kari said...

I hate having issues with neighbors. I hope she'll be understanding and take them down, otherwise they may suddenly start disappearing...

Allison said...

Sorry things didn't go better. I can't imagine that she would be so clueless about the poop everywhere. It HAS to be in her yard too! YUCK! 5 dogs is way to many too, OY! Good luck and keep us "posted".

Alicia said...

That is a hard situation. I am like you, not good with confrontation, but I think you handled it perfectly. Good Luck!

Heidi and Judd said...

The Riverton City ordinance is to only allow 3 dogs. Believe me I have had to call them in the past because of my own "neighbor issues". So, if your neighbor doesn't cooperate, you can always turn them in for having more dogs than is allowed by the city.

Tebbs Times said...

Nat the two songs I played for the warm up in barbell...License to chill(radio mixx) Nick Skitz and Dance (radio edit) Goleo Vi presents Lumidee VS Fatman Scoop...

Hey, how do I change my blog background without losing my links and friends???

brandy said...

What bird drama!!! I am so sorry. But good job on handling it like a pro. I mean who can get mad when there is a plate of cookies involved!! It was so good seeing you while I was there! Thanks for having us over!!!