Monday, December 1, 2008

Flippy the Elf

Day 1- The Elf on the Shelf

This evening we started the festivities with"The Elf on the Shelf." We were given this book last year for Christmas and loved it. The book comes with an elf and has a little story with it. Basically you have this elf and you give him a name, we named ours Flippy. Flippy has a little magic with him and works for Santa, each night he goes back to the North Pole to report to Santa if the kids in the Richards household have been good or bad. Each morning he comes back and is hiding in a new spot. The kids then have to find Flippy's hiding spot each morning, Cooper had a blast doing it last year. The only downside is, the parents have to hide Flippy each night, and things get crazy and you kind of forget (at least this happened last year). So, you have to stay on top of it, or the little game doesn't really work. And we made a rule that you can't go find Flippy until after 7:00 a.m. We don't want kids waking up at the crack of dawn to find Flippy, O'wait...they already do!

8 comments:

RaCHeL said...

What a fun book! It's crazy that it's December already!

Keeping up with the Jones' said...

So cute! I love that idea. My kids are getting so big that they are starting to act kind of suspicious! I am trying to figure out a way to keep the spirit of Christmas going strong in the Jones home! It is sad when the start getting older :) Oh well, with every year they get older comes a new adventure..right?!?!
You are such a great mom, your kids are so lucky to have you!!!

Love ya

Anonymous said...

What a cute idea. I may have to check into that book, or something similar. Having that direct connection with Santa might do the trick with my kids. (or maybe not)Have a great Christmas Holiday.
Merilee

Lish or Coors said...

I'm really bad at this elf thing so far. Our elf has been in the same spot for the past 4 days........good thing is I don't think Dakota has even noticed!

The Garber Family said...

Sounds fun!
I guess when you go private the blog doesn't update on my list anymore. I've missed a lot of blogs!

brandy said...

"The Elf on the Shelf" is HUGE out here in Ohio too. Looks like we will be doing this tradition next year! We head out to SLC tomorrow. I'll call you soon so we can set something up!!

Preslee said...

Sounds like FUN!!! Me and Brett are To big, but Nash is to small. SO when Nash gets older I AM GONNA DO THAT!!!

Kristen said...

I saw this book and just copied and made my own Elf thing...and on day 2 guess who forgot to hide Mr. Jingle?

I am such a lame mom. I told the kids that he just really liked that spot so he decided to come back there again today! DUH!!